Tuesday 16 May 2017

Stealing and Taking Credit for Artwork


While I was away on a trip to Copenhagen, Denmark, experiencing all the hygge it has to offer, I received a message on my Tumblr that my 13 Reasons Why watercolour piece was being used as a design on phone cases and sold across many sites. To my surprise my initial reaction was not of anger but more of amusement. But that might have been in part to do with the fact that I was on holiday and in a happy mood. I wasn't going to let anyone interrupt that.

To my knowledge this is the first time my artwork has been stolen and used elsewhere without credit being given to me, however I was aware that it was a possibility. My overall reach isn't the widest however my 13 Reasons Why painting is one that has gained a little more momentum on platforms like Tumblr, Pinterest and Instagram. I completely understand why someone would think it was a good idea to put it on a phone case. I'm actually quite curious to know what it looks like on a phone but don't worry I don't intent on buying it. What I don't understand is why I wasn't contacted in any shape or form and that someone felt that they could just steal something that I put time and effort into and take all the credit for it.

The original watercolour piece

I should feel more pissed about this than I do. I would have definitely been more pissed off if I had felt the piece had been 100% mine - more personal and an original idea. However since I feel like the idea for the painting doesn't fully belong to me - the painting is very similar to the original reference photograph with the only changes being made to the background - I don't feel completely robbed. I should probably adjust this way of thinking because the work is mine and is being used for profit that isn't going into my pocket. At the end of the day my permission to use the image should have been seeked out.

Since receiving the message about my artwork (which by the way was really nice of that person to let me know!) I feel like I have been following breadcrumbs to find the route of the problem. My first contact was with Woo Pop Culture who responded to me fairly quickly and told me to "be aware it [my artwork] is on Aliexpress and thousands of dropshippers will be using it!!" They said they would pull the design but as of the posting date of this blog the design is still up on Woo Pop Culture. Currently I am contacting the multiple sellers of the phone case on AliExpress and trying to get information as to who their suppliers are. So far the only response I have gotten is so sorry we didn't know it was stolen and that their supply is bought from a "China website" (I mean is it that hard to send me the link. It's like talking to a brick wall!).

I won't be wasting too much time hunting down the supplier though but part of me wants to find the route of this all. What this situation has done is got me thinking about artwork thievery and fakery online and why people do it. As an artist I make sure to always sign my work if I plan to upload it online just so that if it is stolen you can clearly see that it is mine. But this alone still doesn't deter people from taking your work.

Online and especially on Instagram there is a large art community but unfortunately within that community there is often fakery and thievery. Sadly I have heard of many instances where people have taken someone else's artwork and claim it as their own. Some even tamper with reference photos and claim that they drew the image when in fact they have only tweaked a couple of things on Photoshop. I could never understand wanting to take credit for something that isn't yours or lying about whether it was drawn. You might be surprised to know there are a few people on Instagram who have very large followings but yet are fakes. These people have taken peoples money for commissions and then don't deliver what they promise. It is really unfortunate that these people still get any sort of recognition when the real talented people seldom get any.

Going forward I'm not sure what actions I can take to prevent this from happening again. I really don't want to resort to having to put large ugly watermarks on my work. If anyone has any advice I would gladly hear it. At least this all gave me a good laugh but if there is a next time I doubt I'll be laughing as much.

Hazel, xoxo       

No comments:

Post a Comment